Picture Perfect Design – Ruidoso, New Mexico
I consider Ruidoso, New Mexico to be my home town. I lived there from 3rd grade until college. My parents still live there. It is a small mountain town in south central New Mexico. A lot of people hear New Mexico and assume desert. Not Ruidoso! To me, it looks more like Colorado with its snowy peaks and towering pines.
I found this picture online. It is exactly the way Ruidoso looks in my mind’s eye. And what a perfect inspiration for this week’s room.
I opted for a kitchen this time.
1. I started with stainless steel appliances because they remind me of crisp mountain air.
2. The color scheme is based on the three colors that are most prevalent for me in the photo: azure, a deep wheat and alpine green. I would use the green as my wall color with blue and yellow accents throughout the room.
3. Stainless shelving serves as open storage around the room rather than upper cabinetry. This helps the space feel more expansive.
4. Cool white subway tiles with a hint of grey compose the backsplash. They recall the snowy peaks in the inspiration image.
5. I really couldn’t have asked for a more perfect piece of granite. I love the colors! Granite is a substantial investment, but this is a key element to tying the whole room together.
7. A largely neutral rug that helps bring some additional blue to the room will look great underfoot.
8. Hickory base cabinets add a rustic appeal to the kitchen.
9. Finally, these bar stools are the perfect hue and help bring the wall color to life.
What do you think? Those of you who have had the privilege of visiting Ruidoso – did I capture its rustic beauty and charm?